We are ending this confusion ONCE AND FOR ALL! The pain and struggles of differentiating them will be no more.
- Cupcakes have frosting. Muffins do not.
- The ingredient ratio is different. A basic formula for muffins is 2 cup flour, 2-4 tablespoons sugar, 2 and a half teaspoon baking powder, half teaspoon salt, 1 egg. When the fat, sugar, and egg to flour ratio in a recipe reaches double that of a muffin, you create a more open crumb and a sweeter end product and that is, a cupcake.
- The cupcake has a finer crumb while a muffin has a bigger/coarser crumb.
- Muffins have more of a domed top than cupcakes, often overflowing out of their wrappers.
- If you throw a cupcake against a wall, it will make a ‘POOF’ sound. However, if you did the same with a muffin, it would make a ‘THUD’ sound.
A little information to help you differentiate between cupcakes and muffins! Here’s a test, based on the image below is this a muffin or a cupcake?