Homemade pesto could not have been easier to love. Simple Italian sauce tastes amazing from spaghetti and pizza to sandwiches and cereal bowls. It’s especially lovely in the summer months, when fresh herbs are vibrant and bountiful, and plump in-season vegetables require nothing more than a tinge of shine.
Traditionally made with spinach, pine nuts, cloves, olive oil and a variety of Parmesan cheese, traditional pesto is a no-go for vegans. But in fact, it’s extremely easy to create a milk-free version—and it’s so delicious that you’ll never miss the cheese. Here’s how to make the best vegan pesto in 15 minutes.
- Toast the nuts
- ½ cup nuts at 350 degree F for 5-7 minutes
- Pick the basil leaves
- 6 lightly packed cups
- Coarsely chop the nuts, garlic and basil
- 2 garlic cloves for 5-8 pulses
- Process with olive oil, lemon juice and salt
- ⅓ cup olive oil, 3 Tbs lemon juice, ¾ teaspoon kosher salt