Cake is great stuff — there’s a reason we ‘re celebrating birthdays with it! Still having it may be a hassle — plus you have to find out what to do about it all. Yeah, on those rare nights (well, it’s been more like most nights lately) where our sweet tooth is acting crazy, but we really don’t feel like we’re baking a full-size cake, we ‘re busting crazy our tiny-food skills and creating a personal-sized mug cake.
The best part of a mug cake is that it’s technically a no-bake dessert. Since you just pop it in the microwave, it’s not just super-fast (cutting your “baking” time to about a minute) but you get a delicious sweet, cakey dessert without heating up the house — so it’s perfect for the summer months!
Chocolate Mug Cake:
- Whisk together ¼ cup all-purpose flour, 2 tbsp unsweetened cocoa powder, ¼ tsp baking powder, 2 tbsp sugar, ⅛ tsp salt in a medium bowl
- Whisk in the milk and vegetable oil until all ingredients are combined and batter has no clumps.
- Pour batter into microwave safe mug
- Add hazelnut chocolate spread in the middle of the batter or mini chocolate chips. Just drop it in the middle, no need to push it down and sink it in the batter. It does that on its own when it cooks!
- Microwave mug cake for 70 seconds on high*
Coffee Mug Cake:
- Spray a mug or a ramekin with nonstick cooking spray. Add 1 tbsp sugar, 2 ½ tbsp flour, ⅛ tsp salt, ¼ tsp baking powder, 1 tbsp oil, 1 tbsp milk, and a dash of vanilla and stir until combined. Sprinkle brown sugar and cinnamon on top.
- Microwave for 45 seconds*
Vanilla Mug Cake:
- Add 2 tbsp butter to your mug and microwave until melted
- Whisk in 1 tbsp milk, ½ tsp vanilla extract, 1 large egg yolk (don’t add in the egg white) & 2 tbsp sugar with a fork.
- Then whisk in 4 tbsp flour and ½ tsp baking powder.
- Microwave for 60-90 seconds on medium power*
Carrot Mug Cake:
- Lightly coat the mug with nonstick cooking spray.
- In a small bowl, whisk together 3 tbsp flour, ⅜ tsp powdered stevia, ⅛ tsp cinnamon, ⅛ tsp baking powder, and 1/16 tsp salt.
- In a separate bowl, stir together ¼ tsp butter, 1 tbsp Greek yogurt, and 1 ½ tbsp milk. Stir in the ¼ tsp vanilla and 18 drops vanilla crème stevia.
- Gradually mix in the flour mixture, about 1 tablespoon at a time, until just incorporated. Fold in the carrots.
- Spread the batter into the mug and microwave. *
Sponge Cake Mug Cake:
- Place 2 tbsp butter in a large mug and microwave it for 20 to 30 seconds until melted.
- Add 1 large egg and whisk it with a fork.
- Stir in 2 tbsp milk, 1 tsp vanilla, 1 tsp almond extract and ¼ cup sugar
- Add 6 tbsp flour, ¼ tsp baking powder and a pinch of salt. Mix the batter with a fork until smooth.
- Microwave for 1 minute or so. *
Cookies and Cream Mug Cake:
- Combine ¼ cup white chocolate chips and 3 tbsp milk in an oversized microwave-safe mug. Microwave for about 40 seconds. Mix with a small whisk until chocolate is completely melted.
- Add 4 tbsp flour, ¼ tsp baking powder, and ½ tbsp oil and whisk until batter is smooth.
- Using a fork, smash Oreos into the batter until only small chunks of cookie remain.
- Microwave it for about 1 minute. *
Do take note: microwave until toothpick comes out clean after you poke the toothpick into the cake. Every microwaves’ settings and power are different.